The path skirts round a pond. This was once an ornamental feature of the gardens attached to a large country house which stood nearby.
This house was originally a gatehouse, then a farmhouse, and finally occupied by the Marsham-Townshend family in the 20th century.
It burned down in 1976 after the last resident owner died; the gardens have become overgrown.
Aerial photographs of the house and gardens in 1934 can be seen at www.britainfromabove.org.uk – notably image epw045614.
Turn left to the site of the moated manor.